HowTo How to clear 2-3 edicts used by each point_spotlight (1 Viewer)

sunstep

Banned

In this video I show how the sv_dump_edicts is linked to the status command, by subtracting num edicts - free edicts, which results in the used edicts. The map I was on was full of point_spotlights which use 3 edicts each, so obviously this map will cause trouble with edicts.

Every mapper can save 2/3 edicts of each point_spotlight by creating a logic_relay with the following outputs, I created this logic_relay with a stripper so I don't have to recompile the map. Note that the filter instruction on a stripper will entirely clear the entity, rather than 2/3 edicts. I recommend doing this with a logic_relay.
"OnSpawn/OnTrigger" "point_spotlight,Kill,,X,-1"
"OnSpawn/OnTrigger" "spotlight_end,Kill,,X,-1"

I've shown in the video the edicts before and after triggering the logic_relay

The point_spotlight entity uses the following edicts:
  • point_spotlight
  • beam
  • spotlight_end

The beam edict is what causes the shining. You can kill the other 2 edicts with the logic_relay while barely noticing a difference. On the map I was on it reduced the amount of edicts from 155X to 122X. That's a significant amount of edicts reduces for no effort / any noticeable visual difference. But this of course depends on how many a map uses. How more point_spotlights are used, how more edicts this trick will save.

Reactions: ☁ Spaceblob11 ☁

Users who are viewing this thread