Declined Hlxstats scoring system (2 Viewers)

Make the hlxstats scoring system change to be more fair.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Don't change it

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Monthly reset

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeprus

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
When you play on a server with hlxstats you get this very nice scoring system. And what i mean is, if you have more points than the other one and die, you lose -5. BUT! If you kill that guy with lower score you get +2.

I would to change this and make it more fair. And make it to -25 instead of -5 to balance it a bit more.

Bloated scores defeat the purpose of a "skill rating" and mostly reflect the playtime. This also balances out bonus points you get from headshots, buildings, ubercharges etc.
You can already see this taking affect on all servers. When hlstats was introduced people were seemingly happy with the change, even the likes of @fanthom who previously had insane amounts of e-points on duel and was a little unhappy about losing them. It is however a change for the better. Not only does it more accurately reflect actual skill, it also gives a chance to good players that are new to the community to earn their spot on the leaderboard.

The previous thread regarding this issue was closed prematurely. At a point in time where the votes didn't accurately reflect the communities opinion.
At the time of the polls closing the votes were in fact in favor of hlstats scoring system.
1588154533875.png

For reference, the old thread: https://www.panda-community.com/threads/hlxstats-scoring-system.20469/

So you basically have to Kill him 13 Times to make 1 point and if he Kills you only once that Progress is gone. I'd say dont change.

Big advantage for new people and also a BIG disadvantage for those with alot of Points maybe add points to new Player instead of taking points.

i am just gonna do a throwback. you said that most people with over 400.000+ points probably farmed them. @Milky and me had both well over 400.000 just by playing good, healing people etc... you can already see well on duel how the top player is way ahead of everyone by points because he is daily playing.

So basically you want a system that rewards skilled players rather than players that grind with their playtime on the server to build their ranks.

Though this might seem more fair, I've seen a video based on this sort of ranking system.
It's from https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatGuyTagg/ . Trying to find the video xD but basically...

Tagg is a very good sniper. Tagg goes on a server and the map is harvest. Tagg, being a new player, only has 1000 to start. There are players on there with a lot more points than him. Tagg pretty much kills them often, making them lose -25 points every time. The players are very frustrated, saying tagg is hacking. Saying 'fuck you' and 'fix the fucking ranking system is sucks dick!'

So say a hacker comes on panda with this new ranking system in place. People will end up losing a lot of points to a new person who is cheating. By the time an admin joins to ban, the damage as all ready been done to peoples' ranks. They'll be very frustrated and they may possibly leave panda due to it. Blaming the ranking system, the lack of response by the admin team or the ability to not have compensation (returned points).

Ranking is a good motivator with players to come back to panda. It's almost like a goal people want to reach. I found myself when I first started out on deathrun wanting to reach as high as possible. I think I hit rank 5 before I moved onto jailbreak and such. It's a really good motivator but I'm not the most skilled player. So I believe playtime and grinding (Not farming!) should be awarded more than skill.

I hope you don't take offence to my opinion, but it's how I see the ranking system as it should. Maybe I'm biased due to my lack of skill, but not everyone is blessed to the god aim skill ::):

Though this might seem more fair, I've seen a video based on this sort of ranking system.
It's from https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatGuyTagg/ . Trying to find the video xD but basically...
One of my all-time favorites.

The beauty of a point system like that is that they'll regain the points and move to their previous position as they're now getting more points for killing people again.
We're not talking about tens of thousands of points that need to be grinded through days of playtime anymore.

So say a hacker comes on panda with this new ranking system in place. People will end up losing a lot of points to a new person who is cheating.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there's a 50 kill requirement to start gaining and taking score from others. It's plenty in my opinion but maybe this could be extended to 100 to prevent cheaters from messing with the rankings too much.

Ranking is a good motivator with players to come back to panda. It's almost like a goal people want to reach.
Is it though? If you care about your rank like that, and you join a server where you see you're 100.000, 200.000 points behind even the top 10, does that motivate? It would certainly demotivate me.

So you basically have to Kill him 13 Times to make 1 point and if he Kills you only once that Progress is gone. I'd say dont change.
Just.. no. Take a look at any elo or MMR system in any game. People aren't supposed to gain MMR endlessly. Those who are able to do so are the absolute top of the playerbase. If you lose more points to someone than you gain from them then it's because you're not that much better than them to begin with. They'll eventually catch up to you and you'll stop losing that many points for dying to them.

Big advantage for new people and also a BIG disadvantage for those with alot of Points maybe add points to new Player instead of taking points.
This is actually a solution I could kind of see, although that leads to even more inflated scores it at least gives new players a chance to catch up.

Was more ironic, but this is all up to you ofc Kevin. But would be nice to have monthly resets.

Well, you can see stats from only past month on hlstats, I don't really see the point of reseting everymonth ^^ I think some serv have the +25 points on kill no? Like dodgeball 3

Reactions: Matth and Redspike
Well, you can see stats from only past month on hlstats, I don't really see the point of reseting everymonth ^^ I think some serv have the +25 points on kill no? Like dodgeball 3
still people with 100k+ points at #1 doesnt seem to be fair for a new player who just joins.
also i dont think any server has the +25 points on kill - if so let me know

• Indifferent
Reactions: Zeprus and Gold
Skill>playtime. I used to play on a Hightower server that ran the 25-2 method with GameMe. Everyone including me liked it because it did exactly what you would think, separate the good players from the bad ones. Perhaps this suggestion would of had better success if it only were for servers like hightower/mge/duel for example as it makes the most sense there. Otherwise as I think you have found out, people are very defensive about protecting the points they have earned up until this point.

Edit: Although probably redundant at this point, the ability to change votes would be nice seeing as people have told me they would of otherwise changed their vote. I would do it myself but I'm not gonna mess with your suggestion.

Last edited:
I have edited the poll the include the monthly reset as mentioned by Kevin and to allow changing your vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread