Declined Gunner's Admin Application for TX Dodgeball (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner ∞

Nickname:
Gunner

Steam32 ID:
STEAM_0:0:66127508

General online times and Timezone:
I am generally on during the evenings from 1900 to 2200 CST or on current days it is 16:00 to 2200 CST. Unless my schedule at work changes I am online almost all day Monday and Tuesday. I currently live in CST time zone.

Servers:
I want to apply to be an admin for the TX and NY dodgeball servers, but I would be willing to visit another server if I had to because of a report.

Microphone:
Yes I have a microphone

Previous experience:
I do not have any prior experience as an admin. I also do not have any experience with SourceMod.

Why I should be chosen:
I am a strong advocate for following the rules on the dodgeball server. Even when there is no admin online, I like to remind people not to steal or body block. For the server to run smoothly, it is essential for the members of the server to follow the rules. I also am online every day at some point which allows for more time with an admin in the server. It can be hard when there is a limited number of admins so I would like to help to reduce their stress and regulate the server. I also think it is essential to have an admin that is available a majority of the time for calls or be present on the server. I am also pretty active on the server playing almost every day. Panda TX dodgeball was the first dodgeball server that I played on and I love being apart of the community.

Explanation of the job:
When it comes to stealing, I think that a defensive steal is fine. If it is blatant or intentional, then the stealer deserves to be slain. If the steal is defensive, the player would be told to be careful and try to do their best to get out of the way. Body blockers should also be killed. When it comes to voice or text chat spamming I would give a verbal warning before issuing a gag or mute. Racism will not be tolerated. Any gag, mute, or ban I give will have an explanation and a warning prior to the ban.

I was recommended by Sagas to fill out an application.

Additional Information:
USDB Staff Team:
Man, I've been waiting for this application for a while! I spoke to Gunner about possibly applying about a month and a half ago, but gave him a half-hearted, doubtful answer, mainly because we were in a surplus of active admins at the time, and I'm happy he still decided to go through with it.

Gunner is a very well known player in the community. He's been playing for a while, and I've seen him enforce the rules, even when no admin was on, which is a good quality to have. He's not very vocal, really only using text to chat, but I don't believe that to be an issue, as long as he does the job correctly. A few quick comments before I share my judgement...

"Previous experience: I do not have any prior experience as an admin. I also do not have any experience with SourceMod." As any of the Admins here can attest to, SourceMod is not a difficult plugin to use at all, and is very user friendly. You'd be able to get the hang of it in no time. As Pricholas mentioned to me, most of this job relies on key binds that do the work for us.

"Why I should be chosen: For the server to run smoothly, it is essential for the members of the server to follow the rules. I also am online every day at some point which allows for more time with an admin in the server. It can be hard when there is a limited number of admins so I would like to help to reduce their stress and regulate the server. I also think it is essential to have an admin that is available a majority of the time for calls or be present on the server. I am also pretty active on the server playing almost every day".
This. This. This! Another callback to what Pricholas said to me, it's not that we have a shortage of Admins. In fact, we have 5 Admins for this one server. I think the main problem is the fact that not all of us are as active as we should, which kinda gives the false image that there is almost no regulation on this server. I think one of your strong points is the fact that you are available almost all of the time, and that's something we need in my opinion, because all of us have lives outside of the game, and can't be there every time there is a report or a rule breaker.

As a final comment, I think it would be a good idea if you told us specific times you planned on punishing a player who repeatedly broke the rules, just for good measure.

Other than that, your sessions are great, chat is decent, and you have my +1!

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Spankyworld
To answer Trash's question about specific bans. Say someone is mic spamming or spamming all caps in chat I would give them two or three warns before gagging them. The length of their gag would depend on if they have any previous bans on record. Same goes for stealing the person would be slain three times before they would receive a ban or a kick from the server with the correct length.

Not too many things Trash didn't lay out here for me.
Gunner is in fact a regular player, and a pretty good one at that. I can also attest to his good activity, and ability to follow / understand the rules.

Unfortunately you technically cannot apply for NY, because you only have twenty hours logged there.
This is a fallacy in the admin app system if you ask me, because both of the servers are basically identical.
If you are accepted, it will be up to Kev or Nighta to assign your permissions.

If I were you, I would also begin my focus on making my chat a little more pleasant to reread.
Anything you say, and any commands you use can be monitored at any time.
Administrators are meant to be pillars of the community, and an example to follow.

We do have some grey area around defensive stealing at this moment, but I also feel the autoslay bot gives a fair warning and tells you to move the fuck away. It's a trade off, however an admin needs to be able to distinguish between what is defensive, what is aggressive, and what is passive.

I've recently adopted a new bind to slap the last stealer as a warning. Some players find the forgiveness and learn from it better than being punished in my humble opinion. It's even a tip mentioned in my guide that you should sometimes revive a player who apologizes for stealing. Which again, triggers that reward mechanism and builds a better character for you and them.

The previous experience question does come up in apps. The sourcemod commands that are imperative for you to use will be provided to you in a guide, which you will also use to create your binds and track your policies. Speaking of policies and punishments, your section is lacking in ban times. However, as I will always point out, the bans times are not public information AFAIK. So this is not exactly detrimental to your application.

All in all, you have my endorsement, Panda TX is technically understaffed. Dio and Spanky are both halfway active, and do not have the ability to play regularly right now. This leaves everything on Cashews, Trash, and myself. That being said, we only receive ~10-15 calls per week since the autoslay plugin was introduced. Most of the workload of being an admin is simply playing the game and enforcing rules on common players.

+1 provided you can keep your activity up, and keep a moderately clean chat.

Trash and Prick have already laid everything out perfectly.

Gunner is a regular on the DB servers, and his chatlog shows just how efficient he is at attempting to enforce the rules of the server even while not having the power of an admin. That, in my eyes, is a wonderful start. Having someone who actively tries to enforce rules simply because they care about the server is something that I personally admire, seeing as there are so many who attempt to break them or argue that the rules are invalid or unimportant -- a stick attempting to block a flood, per se. And that, to me, is an admirable quality for someone who is applying for admin.

Your playtime is good, and you have pretty decent sessions almost daily, which is great. I think that it will be great to have you as part of the admin team, and I look forward to seeing the end result of this application.

+1 from me. Good luck!

I've seen him from time to time with the absolute abysmal amount of activity I have, but from what I've seen during my playtime is that he's a respectable player with good skills and has the potential for becoming a great admin. I should have posted my reply sooner because now I've got nothing, that the admins before me have already said, to say. However, I know well enough that if you get accepted, your maturity, your honesty (backed up with evidence of you actually reminding people not to steal), and great determination has convinced us that you would be another great addition to our team.

You've convinced me well enough. Here have this nice looking +1 from me.

Something insignificant now, since you've already fixed it yourself, is just a little bit of a small complaint with your chat. Slightly a bit negative towards others, but you taken in the tip of being more professional from Prich. That already tells me that you're good with changes which is helpful if and when major changes comes to play in our dodgeball servers. So just for the heck of it, have another +1. Good luck now! Cheers.

sessions are a bit weak the last few days, you know more @Pricholas?
Haven't seen him, he could be traveling for holiday and have a bad connection. I am unaware.
I agree the recent activity is behind, but overall activity isn't bad.

Small update on my low activity in the server was due to working 11-12 hour days at work and traveling my apologizes on that and I will make sure to keep it up.

Reactions: Kevin
I'm going to go ahead and close this.
Your sessions are just too low.

Feel free to apply again if your job allows for extra time, and which you are willing to use your free time to be on TF2.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread