Glass or cup? (1 Viewer)

Is a glass a type of cup, or it's own thing?

• Completely different

• Is a type of cup

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doge Loaf

I've found that this is a point of controversy, and would like to ask you guys this question.

Please support your claim with evidence if you can

Well aside from the material and what you would call it specifically, I'm asking if a regular glass you would find in a kitchen would still fall under the cup category.

I would also like to share this thread that started the thought for me from a different website https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/75729/whats-the-difference-between-cup-and-glass

Also here is a different definition to cup that I found

Last edited:
No, because regular kitchen glasses are neither bowllike nor usually have a handle or are used to serve soup or tea. Glasses are usually used to serve cold liquids as opposed to cups.

ok so basically
1562185724648.png

Wait, just to clarify, I'm talking about this kind of glass, not a wine glass

and also, I'm talking about cup in the general sense, like how you would call a hammer a tool just as you would call a screwdriver a tool. I also ant to know what makes something a glass besides the material of glass, like, what if the image above was made of plastic, like this

is it still a glass, or has it become a cup ?

Attachments

• 1562186226482.png
    1562186226482.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 115
If a clay brick is made out of metal, is it still a brick, or has it become a bar?

If it is used as a block for building something, then yes, I would say that it is a metal brick.

On the side, I would like to ask, in your own words, (not a google definition) what is a cup? What does something have to be in order to be a cup regardless of material?

Definition of cup is vague. I can't say much about it other than that "glass" never refers to cup, and "cup" only refers to a glass when you say "glass cup". Or, well, I've never heard anyone refer to anything made of glass by just saying cup.

I understand that people will unusually say "a glass" instead of a "glass cup", but I think that it isn't incorrect to call it a cup.

Users who are viewing this thread