Completed Gambling Issues. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Yeah, I'm not kidding, I'm talking about the gambling issues on the #25 Eu/Ny.
As a daily player on the EU, I know most of the people going there, and lately (1/2 months), even in my non-admin period, I had a lot of reports for "Spycrab runners", and for who doesn't know, they're the people who run away without paying after losing spycrab.
As I am a trader, I know the gambling rules and other stuff, and the most of the other servers have a rule that prohibits spycrab or general gambling without a middleman (trade admin), to reduce to almost 0% the spycrab gambling scams.
At the end, my suggestion was, as already said in the past sentence, to add a rule that prohibits general gambling or only specified gambling "games" (ex: Spycrab).

We don't have any steamrep trusted middlemen in the community as far as I'm aware. That's an issue with introducing that rule, sure we can somewhat expect from them to trust our administrators. But only really steamrep has established a trusted middleman list. It might be a minor issue as the value of spycrabbed items on our servers is usually rather low but it's worth noting non the less.
The way we've handled it so far is to discourage spycrabbing on our servers and permanently banning spycrab scammers if reported. Making spycrabbing against the rules seems like an odd solution to me honestly, people know the risks before they start gambling. Also spycrabbing is so well known in TF2 trading that it seems a little counter-intuitive to forbid it on a trade server. Since you mentioned other servers, do you know how they enforce that rule and how well it is perceived there?
I personally would very much welcome this if it works out well.

Harpoon had a plugin in which both sides agreed to a spy crab and it was done in a private area u were instantly teleported too. You would agree on a bet within the window of the spycrab plugin pop up and if a user was to disconnect before the item were transferred it automatically created a steam rep report and permanently banned them from all harpoon servers. However, I believe it was a custom plugin as I have been unable to find the one they used.
Other common trade servers I have seen people with specific middle man ranks before.

Perhaps a reasonable solution would be to have spycrabs over a certain threshold of maybe a key be middleman by administrators? And an advert suggesting an spy crab under a key not be done without a middle man but it is up to the discretion of the two participants. This rule may work as the only people who would dislike it, would be people trying to scam.

• Informative
Reactions: Zeprus
I'd rather not be involved in the gambling aspect. That's for middlemen and I don't want to be involved with that.

There's also these giveaway situations that happen. Some say they're doing it and the players have to do a minigame. After they have, some leave without giving out the prize. Some give it to the wrong players.

So does it fall under an all ready existing rule or does one need to be created under the trade rules section?

h) Scamming
Scamming of any kind is not allowed on our servers. Breaking this rule will result in a ban.

This is currently the only rule that could apply to gambling if both sides don't honor there part of the agreement when for example spy crabbing then you could in theory apply this to it.

Steam Rep does ban users who leave spy crab debts unpaid under scamming sooooooo we have software that automatically bans players who do not comply with steam rep rules if they get steam rep banned.
Possibly add an announcement suggesting recording of spy crabs and a link to the steam rep report section, alongside maybe giving full admins the power to ban players who leave halfway through if they choose to "Host" a spycrab. (No middle men as previously suggested just moderating it being a referee)

Or you could just out right ban spycrabs on panda servers and suggest hosting a private server to spycrab on if they want to risk it. Eliminating any risk of panda admins or servers being used to scam players.
Hope this helps

Reactions: TWC and Mikey
maybe giving full admins the power to ban players who leave halfway through if they choose to "Host" a spycrab
For the record, I've always perm banned spycrab runners for scamming if evidence was present.

I don't think outright banning spycrabbing is the correct way to approach it, it would be another "obscure" rule for a trade server that many could break simply because you wouldn't expect it.
If there is a plugin like the the one from harpoon gaming you described I'd be much in favor of implementing it. Otherwise I believe our approach of simply discouraging spycrabbing and not doing much about it seems the best to me.
I would be up for middlemaning higher value spycrabs but a) I've never seen them happen on our trade servers and b) as already mentioned none of us are steamrep trusted middleman and it's a little much to expect our players to blindly trust everyone with an admin tag in that regard.

So we should have a server message reminding members spy crabbing is discouraged here?
No rule really to add, just a warning about it and a suggestion to record it?

If that's the case above, I'll put it up on the to do list. I'll wait 3 more days just incase.

• Agree
Reactions: Magglet and Zeprus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread