Dodgeball Changes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBenedevil

Banned
I think all regular DB player knows this problem:
You come on the server and you're like: Hey, I wana play Dodgeball.
Who's on? No one good. I can't be bothered to play against noobs.

The bad people on Dodgeball make the game very slow pace and boring. Even on huge maps like baseball they die at a speed of 81mph. Not enjoyable at all for the regular players of Dodgeball. Now, we all know that most of the good players have left and went to Operation because all the pros play on there. I must admit I played on there in the past because I was sick and tired of playing against newbies. The question is: How do we make them come back again? Simple question right? Well, we have 2 options here:

1. We can increase the speed of the spawn rockets to at least 100 mph.
2. We make a server for pros only.

I think option 1 is far better for Kevin, because hosting another server is very resource intensive.
Either way, I'm slowly but surely quitting Dodgeball (and with that my admin job) due to the fact that there are only bad players on the server. We were all bad players once, but we play the game on a regular bases and we keep the community alive. Changes have to be made sooner or later, or the DB community will end up being an empty shell, or most of the regular players will have moved on to Operation and we all know that we don't want anyone on Operation.

If anyone has any other suggestions to make please comment down below.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin
I'll go with option one, I do agree the server lacks speed, but to be honest, most of the people that play there aren't that great.
We could take the risk of changing the speed to something high, losing "noob" players; yet gaining "pro" players isn't certain, or is it?
Either way, I say change the speed to something a little bit higher!

• Disagree
Reactions: Sluw
I don't know about players moving to the Operation, this is the first time I hear about that. Why would they move there? Is it so much different?

100 as minimum rocket speed is kinda extreme I think. Perhaps fixing Pandanaut and bringing him back would help.

I don't know about players moving to the Operation, this is the first time I hear about that. Why would they move there? Is it so much different?
Fewer people seem to find operation. Thats why it's literally a paradise for pro dodgeballers. Not many noobs, yet the server is always full with good players + noobs. If you wish, I could even make a gigantic list of people that left.

Last edited:
I'll go with option one, I do agree the server lacks speed, but to be honest, most of the people that play there aren't that great.
We could take the risk of changing the speed to something high, losing "noob" players; yet gaining "pro" players isn't certain, or is it?
Either way, I say change the speed to something a little bit higher!

The GoRaz clan would certainly return and with them other players as well.

Last edited:
It seem unjust to exclude people from the game because they're bad, in my opinion.

Also, the new players can get better with time, because this game mode is just about practicing.
I know, you're about to tell me : "but there is always new players who're coming, so there is always people who're bad..."
Well, if you guys are pro, you will beat them easily, then it will remain only the strongest players, right ?

1) In this case, there will have only a more or less wide "group" of people that will play dodgeball, a group of "pro".
At 100 mph, it will be pretty hard for new players to reach a good level, they might quit the game and find an other dodgeball server, for the benefit of good players.
People who want to play in the panda server regularly or want to get better might be disappointed.

2) In this case, there will be surely a rule like this: "you must be a good player" and bad players will be excluded from the game continually until they reach a good level.

To answer your question, everything is up to them to come back or not.
Dodgeball server might lose pretty good players, it still an active server, and it might have bad players, those are maybe the future generation of good players.

It seem unjust to exclude people from the game because they're bad, in my opinion.

Also, the new players can get better with time, because this game mode is just about practicing.
I know, you're about to tell me : "but there is always new players who're coming, so there is always people who're bad..."
Well, if you guys are pro, you will beat them easily, then it will remain only the strongest players, right ?

1) In this case, there will have only a more or less wide "group" of people that will play dodgeball, a group of "pro".
At 100 mph, it will be pretty hard for new players to reach a good level, they might quit the game and find an other dodgeball server, for the benefit of good players.
People who want to play in the panda server regularly or want to get better might be disappointed.

2) In this case, there will be surely a rule like this: "you must be a good player" and bad players will be excluded from the game continually until they reach a good level.

To answer your question, everything is up to them to come back or not.
Dodgeball server might lose pretty good players, it still an active server, and it might have bad players, those are maybe the future generation of good players.

I'm not trying to exclude bad players, I'm just trying to make them play better. You know the amout of stealers on the server because rockets are slow as hell and easy to steal?
Also being the best players is not fun at all. You want challenges if theres no challenge why bother playing? Literally, all I do on panda is sit in the middle wait for EVERYONE to die at 50 mph and fight against the best player of the opposing team who dies at 110 mph. I just don't see why I should play on there anymore. Also there are other server that have waaaay higher spawnrocket speeds and they still have a gigantic community.

Also, the problem with new players is that they NEVER EVER stay for longer then 1 day. They just come die 20 times and leave. Never come back.

Of course you are right in every point but I can't play on a server like that and I'm already thinking about leaving... I know that is dickish but things haven't changed in 6 months. I'm just sick and tired.

Last edited:
I guess it's time for me to quit my admin job and play on operation.
I'm not trying to exclude bad players, I'm just trying to make them play better. YOu know the amout of stealers on the server because rockets are slow as hell and easy to steal?
I also think that Kevin doesn't really care about DB anyways. Oh well, in one week I'll just quit and move on.

Also, that was just my opinion, I'm not deciding anything since I don't have any rights to decide something.

"I'm not trying to exclude bad players, I'm just trying to make them play better" : by increasing the speed at 100 mph ? Mhh...

"You know the amout of stealers on the server because rockets are slow as hell and easy to steal?" : so we should increase the speed so people can't steal ?
No, we should prevent them, and "we" especially includes you, because you're actually the gameserver admin of dodgeball.

I can understand that you're bored about playing with "bad players", but keep in your mind that being a gameserver admin is moderating a server.
Spectating players shouldn't bother you as you're an admin, I actually do it a lot since I am one.

Forgot to add something, Operation can gain bad players too, while panda is gaining good players, tic tac toe.

Reactions: IceStick
I think all regular DB player knows this problem:
You come on the server and you're like: Hey, I wana play Dodgeball.
Who's on? No one good. I can't be bothered to play against noobs.

The bad people on Dodgeball make the game very slow pace and boring. Even on huge maps like baseball they die at a speed of 81mph. Not enjoyable at all for the regular players of Dodgeball. Now, we all know that most of the good players have left and went to Operation because all the pros play on there. I must admit I played on there in the past because I was sick and tired of playing against newbies. The question is: How do we make them come back again? Simple question right? Well, we have 2 options here:

1. We can increase the speed of the spawn rockets to at least 100 mph.
2. We make a server for pros only.

I think option 1 is far better for Kevin, because hosting another server is very resource intensive.
Either way, I'm slowly but surely quitting Dodgeball (and with that my admin job) due to the fact that there are only bad players on the server. We were all bad players once, but we play the game on a regular bases and we keep the community alive. Changes have to be made sooner or later, or the DB community will end up being an empty shell, or most of the regular players will have moved on to Operation and we all know that we don't want anyone on Operation.

If anyone has any other suggestions to make please comment down below.

Thank you for your time
hm well, dunno maybe we can make 2 dodgeball servers, 1 regular (just keep the current one) and 1 new with higher speeds

hm well, dunno maybe we can make 2 dodgeball servers, 1 regular (just keep the current one) and 1 new with higher speeds

What a good idea actually, it merges your two suggestions Ben, I agree with that.

I guess it's time for me to quit my admin job and play on operation.
Also, that was just my opinion, I'm not deciding anything since I don't have any rights to decide something.

"I'm not trying to exclude bad players, I'm just trying to make them play better" : by increasing the speed at 100 mph ? Mhh...

"You know the amout of stealers on the server because rockets are slow as hell and easy to steal?" : so we should increase the speed so people can't steal ?
No, we should prevent them, and "we" especially includes you, because you're actually the gameserver admin of dodgeball.

I can understand that you're bored about playing with "bad players", but keep in your mind that being a gameserver admin is moderating a server.
Forgot to add something, Operation can gain bad players too, while panda is gaining good players, tic tac toe.

Last thing, please calm down, I didn't offended you o.o

Increasing speed would make them learn quicker than having rockets that are slower than a rocket launcher.

I prevent them every time. I have to kick half of the server until things are sorted, people just insult me and think its funny, they never learn...
Operation gains a lot of bad player THAT actually STAY!! and that is the important part. The DB community on operation is currently way better than pandas now. People actually want to stay because they're having fun with pros and clans. They like the people there and want to be a part of them, that's why they return. That used to happen on panda, until everyone left.... Now it's just me and Noodl acting like robots slaying every stealer there is. With no motivation to stay any longer.

This is what I've been waiting for, for 3 months now ;_________;

If nothing has changed in six months then I really do not see the problem. A good amount of the players there was just fine. I still found it challenging enough, and I don't know of many people who I would have considered much better than I was. There's going to be bad players but I don't mind as much I guess, as long as they don't steal.

EDIT: actually what am I saying, the first ten minutes after I joined used to consist of plucking illiterate morons away. I guess I was trying to block those out of my memory and only remember the decent folk.

The rocket speed could be upped either on this or a second server, but 100 seems like too much. Not sure if two servers would attract many more people though. I'd expect at least one of them to fall into being ignored, which seems to be the current server. I think the speed on this one may as well be upped.

The difference between us and OP might be that Kevin seems to add tags to the server like mad to lure more people (noobs) into the server. That could play a vital part.

People that stay donate. OP has a lot of donators because it actually benefits them. On servers with noobs? Who would want to donate. Isn't that the goal of a server?

At the beginning, I genuinely enjoyed playing on panda, because everyone was better. Tons of pros playing there and everyone had their clan. I wanted to be a part of them. I came back on a regular basis, because it was challenging. Now that all the challenges have left you don't want to stay anymore. You move on to another server that has challenges. Dodgeball is all about getting better.

Take Ranger4Kill, he wanted to donate on Operation, but accidentally donated to Panda. Why did he want to donate to Operation I wonder...

Last edited:

Conforming to both parties, this seems to be the best decision. Starting the spawn rocket at 100/110 or whatever, and introducing a type of 'beginner's and pro's' server like Pandemic. I rarely see returning names now, and most of the regs I played with when I started and everyone was better than me have gone. Being right at the top of the metaphorical food chain means that it's only fun when playing against a select few individuals, which is the demographic we would hope to bring in to the speed server.

Reactions: MrBenedevil
Increasing speed would make them learn quicker than having rockets that are slower than a rocket launcher.

I thought about it, but like Evo said, 100 mph is too much in my opinion too.

As I am not that good at Dodgeball, I know that it would be pretty hard for me to get good with a 100 mph rocketspeed.
The idea of Kevin is good, but you should accept to play on the both dodgeball servers though, because of your actual grade. Just saying.

Jesus, late reply here. So, 1.I don't think you can change the speed of the rockets inside the server using cvars on it's own, you actually have to change the initial speed of the rockets when spawned inside the fa_dodgeball_spawner of the map itself, so that'll be a pain in the arse.
2. Even though it might be hard for Kevin to host another server, he is already wasting money on buying all those god damn domains, so a new server for Pros wouldn't be too much of a problem, also it'd give the bad / new players give a chance to train with other bad / new players, basically like a match making system. More or less.

Jesus, late reply here. So, 1.I don't think you can change the speed of the rockets inside the server using cvars on it's own, you actually have to change the initial speed of the rockets when spawned inside the fa_dodgeball_spawner of the map itself, so that'll be a pain in the arse.
2. Even though it might be hard for Kevin to host another server, he is already wasting money on buying all those god damn domains, so a new server for Pros wouldn't be too much of a problem, also it'd give the bad / new players give a chance to train with other bad / new players, basically like a match making system. More or less.
lal

Reactions: Didixo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread