Completed Changes to the rules displayed on Dodgeball (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBotV63

At the present the following is shown at a regular interval or when you run the command sm_rules.

*** Please follow coming rules:
=============================================
1) No rocket stealing.
2) No blocking; leave space for others.
3) No orbiting for too long.
4) No continuous suiciding when you get the rocket.
5) No attempting to steal.
6) No breaking rockets or map abusing
=============================================
*** Have Fun!

I'd like to suggest two things:

First: A minor tweak to merge point 5 with point 1 as they are of the same nature. "No attempting to steal" implies "No stealing" anyway.

Second: I'd like to suggest disableing the rule broadcast at a regular interval. Everyone is prompted with the rules and forced to agree to them at the very least once when they first join the server. From this point we should be able to assume that the user is (at least somewhat) familiar with the rules.

Spamming the rules over and over again in my opinion isn't helpful as, due to their spammy nature, they're just ignored and read over by everyone anyway. There's always some new users that will steal, but often after an explanation what stealing is they will either stop (yay) or continue anyway. Then there's those who know what stealing is, know that it is forbidden, often even have several bans and still do it. Spamming the rules won't hammer the point in for this group either.

So in the end, all having the rules on an interval does is disrupt conversations and make important information from chat harder to read. The fact that they're staggered at a 1 second (?) interval makes them even more annoying and disruptive.

If you really wanted to spam something just for the sake of it you could also make the "sm_rules" command bring up the menu you are shown when you have to agree to the rules initially and then send a message along the lines of "to view the rules type /rules". That way you could reduce the 10 (!) lines of spam down to 1 or 2 and provide more detailed explanations of the rules to users who actually want to read up on them and use "sm_rules".

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Deep and klay
First: A minor tweak to merge point 5 with point 1 as they are of the same nature. "No attempting to steal" implies "No stealing" anyway.
Please, we do need this. It just wastes and takes space in the chat.

Second: I'd like to suggest disableing the rule broadcast at a regular interval. Everyone is prompted with the rules and forced to agree to them at the very least once when they first join the server. From this point we should be able to assume that the user is (at least somewhat) familiar with the rules.
I don't think this is really needed at all. They might click the button to skip over the rules and not read them. Regular intervals seem fine to me, since it shows the rules and you can choose to read them. It is the same thing with forcing to agree with the rules people will just skip over it.

Spamming the rules over and over again in my opinion isn't helpful as, due to their spammy nature, they're just ignored and read over by everyone anyway. There's always some new users that will steal, but often after an explanation what stealing is they will either stop (yay) or continue anyway. Then there's those who know what stealing is, know that it is forbidden, often even have several bans and still do it. Spamming the rules won't hammer the point in for this group either.
I agree with spamming the rules to players will not help them. New players that steal will need an explanation with the rule not just the rule right in their face. Making the intervals longer would be nice.

Overall, In my opinion I think this is a great addition/great idea.

There is a newer version on this in another thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread