Completed cap on connecting/disconnecting? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbooooom

Just wondering if there is a way to limit connection attemps of one account/player during a certain time frame.
playing at other servers/play modes I have seen messages pop up like: if you leave this game you won't be able to join again.

Reason:
lately it happens quite often that players connect at the #4 db Server , get kicked out because they did not agree to the rules but then try to connect again several times , just to get kicked again etc.

would not mind at all if this would not create lags every single time...at least on my side
can be quite annoying

cheers booooom

I see some dislikes? care to explain why?
May I add that TF2 is rated age 15 or higher depending on the country and that players at this age should be able to read and click "1"?

I personally think that this is a dirty workaround to a larger issue. Also what do you suggest this limit be set to? It happens quite often that i switch between servers in very short intervals due to calls. And every now and then (or quite often) the rule popup will show even after a user agreed without them necessarily noticing which can cause accidental disconnects. I've seen numerous regulars and admins "disagree to the rules" because they weren't expecting the popup / paying attention. Of course these people can read but they just didn't notice. Also, as far as I've seen the vast majority of connects has nothing to do with people not agreeing with the rules and then reconnecting. I haven't been keeping a statistic ofc, but based on what I see I think the positives here do not outweigh the negatives and the effort required to implement this.

While it is very rare that I experience these lags, and even if I do they are negligible (I do play on high-ish end specs) I acknowledge that the problem exists. However, I do think that what you proposed is a terrible idea.

Firstly, it would strip everyone of the second chance to agree to the rules.
Secondly, not reading the rules isn't the only reason for one to reconnect. Some examples:
  • osht, I lost connection.
  • admins hopping to another server to handle calls
  • even I find myself hopping between servers quite frequently
Most people will not wait for the cooldown to reconnect. They just go somewhere else to play and the popularity of the servers would drop. I'd find this feature way more annoying than the lags.

would not mind at all if this would not create lags every single time...at least on my side
That's a bit selfish don't you think? I understand that the lags you're getting are annoying, but this would worsen the experience of others mostly for your benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: TBotV63
I did not mean to strip players of a second or third chance to connect and agree to the rules.
Maybe set a limit of 3 connections allowed max during a 5 minutes period?
Does this sound too bad?
Is it possible to do at all?

cheers
booooom

little update, i've applied new settings to #4 and #19, please let me know if someone still notices them or not.

I haven't played much and I didn't notice any lags during the times I did play. But then again, I didn't really notice these lags before the update either.

well alright, i'll close this then, feel free to write me incase it still exists.

• Agree
Reactions: TBotV63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread