Declined Can we get VSH Oilrig added to the map pool? (1 Viewer)

Would you like VSH Oilrig added to the map pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally Oilrig in my opinion is a bad map for this. The concept is okay, but it's all compressed together and hard to move through well. On a small server perhaps this would be fine, but Panda's ff2 and vsh servers get almost full almost every day. 30 players on that map is not fun (I know from prior experience.)
Just voicing my opinion.

• Dislike
Reactions: Satan
Personally Oilrig in my opinion is a bad map for this. The concept is okay, but it's all compressed together and hard to move through well. On a small server perhaps this would be fine, but Panda's ff2 and vsh servers get almost full almost every day. 30 players on that map is not fun (I know from prior experience.)
Just voicing my opinion.

I could easily say the same about fortdesk or military area, yet both are hugely popular

I could easily say the same about fortdesk or military area, yet both are hugely popular
Although those maps are a bit more open, ex. fortdesk is 90% open, with only the book tower being closed up. Military area is kinda scrunched yes, and I personally don't like that map either. Oilrig is very compact and small. The main point has fencing around it, the outer walk-around is very narrow, and the map is small enough that one misguided jump and you fall right into Out of Bounds kill zone.
Basically oilrig isn't very open, it's very path-based. You can really only move on the paths provided instead of playing to your own liking or direction.

• Dislike
Reactions: Satan
Although those maps are a bit more open, ex. fortdesk is 90% open, with only the book tower being closed up. Military area is kinda scrunched yes, and I personally don't like that map either. Oilrig is very compact and small. The main point has fencing around it, the outer walk-around is very narrow, and the map is small enough that one misguided jump and you fall right into Out of Bounds kill zone.
Basically oilrig isn't very open, it's very path-based. You can really only move on the paths provided instead of playing to your own liking or direction.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a map not being very open. Why should all the maps be open? Paths enable different strategies to be played and can result in some new and improved game play.
I have played this map a lot and I like it very much and think it will be absolutely fine.

Oilrig is just basically a Dark, boring and a small map for me, as i play on it i come to see myself Circling the map over and over. its More then annoying to when its a Duo boss on the map. Half of the map is a instakill_killzone and luckily the creator of it put small holes and cracks beneath the map to make it better hohoh even more of a chance to fall into the pit.

• Agree
Reactions: Eternal
looking at the map model here you can see its pretty small. With barely any options to walk you'll want more space.
4f3dc7d61dc59.jpg

A demo I just took on the map, the ONLY class that can do anything here is the scout, and that's simply because of his advanced mobility and speed.

Attachments

• oilrig.dem
    2.5 MB · Views: 182
More then annoying to when its a Duo boss on the map.
I was intending for this to be added to VSH rather than FF

A demo I just took on the map, the ONLY class that can do anything here is the scout, and that's simply because of his advanced mobility and speed.

The two boost ramps on the bottom of the map open up also sorts of plays for demos, spies, engineers etc. If your play-style involves running away from Hale as scout with the FoN then of course you can claim that this map can only be played by scouts. There are plenty of ramps for spies to trick-stab, several pipelines which enable heavies to defend themselves from, there are many areas the demos can stickytrap, engineers can jump around using the boost ramps thus altering the normal "turtle" play-style. The only class I see hampered by this map (more so than most other VSH maps) is the soldier as their isn't much easily accessible health for them to continuously.

• Agree
Reactions: chaz
Yeah the map is really small and scrunched up. you can say your a Train on that map because you have no other option but the Narrow Paths

Scout - Agreed. Its a good map for scout due to his mobility.
Soldier - Not the best map for soldier, if I recall correctly, there are not many health packs at all/hard to get to.
Pyro - Decent map for Pyro due to the narrow lanes, good for airblast + flare gun combo. However not many ammo packs.
Demo - Very good map for Demo, narrow lanes allow a lot of damage to be inflicted with the Grenade Launcher/Loch n Load and good traps for sticky launcher. Not a very good map for Demoknight though.
Heavy - Not a good map for heavy at all, pretty much zero places for a heavy + medic combo unless on one of the roofs.
Engi - Very good map, perfect engi spot on one of the roofs, not too good, not too bad.
Medic - Very good map for medic, narrow lanes allow the crusaders crossbow to inflict many hits, as well for the Syringe Gun causing the medic to gain uber charge quickly.
Sniper - Good map for sniper, the 2 roofs (i think 2) allow decent spots for the sniper as well as on top of the fencing in the middle. Bushwacka mechanism allows the sniper to get away as there are a lot of walls that the sniper can use to jump against.
Spy - Not the best map for spy - again, not a lot of health or ammo packs however the 2 boost spots can be used by spy for some challening but successful plays.

EDIT: So. There are many more classes that can be played on this map. The map isnt as limiting as you think. I learnt this through experimenting.

• Agree
Reactions: Mon
Playstyle wouldnt matter much. the map in general is Incredibly Small and Half of it is a Killzone. The boss only spawns from the other side of the map which he can get to you in prob 18 steps.

Playstyle wouldnt matter much. the map in general is Incredibly Small and Half of it is a Killzone. The boss only spawns from the other side of the map which he can get to you in prob 18 steps.

On Military area Hale can get from his spawn to red spawn in about 5 seconds.....

• Agree
Reactions: chaz
This isnt about military area though.

On Military area Hale can get from his spawn to red spawn in about 5 seconds.....
Correct, and that hasnt stopped it from the being the most popular map in the VSH gamemode.

EDIT: Moral of the story - it doesnt matter if Hale spawns close to the other spawn and is able to get there under 5 seconds

• Agree
Reactions: Eternal
But That's hale choice and by the time he does make it to your spawn you have a Full team available to defend you

If your play-style involves running away from Hale as scout with the FoN then of course you can claim that this map can only be played by scouts.
Not my playstyle but happens alot on the servers you have to admit.(Also happens to be one of the most annoying parts of vsh/ff2)

I can see where you're coming from with it, but keep in mind that the servers get pretty full. Imagine 25-30 people on that map, absolute chaos.
You do make a valid point with the trick-stabbing and such, the jump-pads help the map out a bit for mobility. What it really comes down to with this map is 2 things: it's small, and preference.
Some people may like it, some may not, but I was admin of a server that ran this map with 20-25 people on it at a time, It was so much chaos, many people raging, no-one wanted to be hale because you would just be knocked back into the killzone multiple times and die, or even just as a player, everyone would either fall to their deaths from a misplaced jump or getting stuck on something in the way.
And you can't forget about hale's rage. With the low mobility, if you're caught in that rage you're doomed.

This map in my opinion is a bad fit for a popular server, but that's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread