1. Join us on our discord server for fun gaming evenings, discussions, music and much more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you!
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking the VAC system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EvoWarrior5, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvoWarrior5

EvoWarrior5 Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Steam:
    I've been having the issue all day that I can't join any servers because an issue with my computer is blocking the VAC system. The web page (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2117-ILZV-2837) says that custom files can cause it, but I haven't downloaded any game-modifying stuff in ages (besides new jump maps, which really shouldn't be the problem).

I really don't want to uninstall the game and lose my current settings. Does anyone have a potential solution? I've already verified my game files, didn't help.

2. Stabbin

Stabbin Gameserver Admin
    Gameserver Admin Donator Deathrun Team Development

Steam:
    backup your cfg folder and reinstall :D?

3. EvoWarrior5

Contributor

Steam:
    I have more than just my cfg folder though lol, also several jump maps I downloaded over time. Plus I've been confused for a long time about where config-related files actually go, there were like 3-4 different options I had to try before my configs worked decently. So I have several files scattered across folders with no idea which ones do what to get the settings I have. Dunno why it is so complicated, but that happened.

4. Stabbin

Stabbin Gameserver Admin

Steam:
    backup your cfg and download folder and reinstall :D?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. fanthom

fanthom Gameserver Admin
    Gameserver Admin

Steam:
    Dont know if you are running any Idling Programms in the background but it causes the same effect from time to time.

6. Zeprus

Zeprus Trial Gameserver Admin
    Trial Gameserver Admin

Steam:
    Otherwise firewall settings, any security updates, antivirus updates are all possible reasons for it so you might check those.

This thread has a bunch of stuff you can try as well.
    Otherwise I would try what stabbin said, backup your cfg/download/custom folders and reinstall. All of these folders are located in your steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2 directory.

7. EvoWarrior5

Contributor

Steam:
    I fixed it, I added my Steam folder to antivirus exceptions and deleted my appcache folder before restarting my PC. Not sure which of those did the trick, but something helped.

8. Stabbin

Stabbin Gameserver Admin

Steam:
    Bad idea, I suggest checking if this wasn't what was causing it and if not remove the exception. You download numerous of files when you connect to servers, there have been many source engine related exploits found that utilize the downloading of custom files. You should at least remove /downloads from the exceptions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice