Declined Blocking of VPNs (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Owner
Staff member
Founder
Hi,

so i came to the conclusion against hackers using alts and vpn services to avoid being banned that we could've add a plugin which basically kicks people trying to join with a IP which is known to be from corporate services/proxies or vpn providers.

though on the other perspective there may be people who can only play using a vpn service or proxies and locking them completely out is then not such a good idea imo.
also considering that maybe some people want it for privacy perspectives.

it's possible to whitelist steamids though they need to manually come to an admin and ask for whitelist which is aswell not ideal.

lmk what your thoughts are on this.

thanks.

+1

It's not ideal but today vpn is mainly used to avoid an IP ban on TF2 community servers, it might be annoying for people who are not cheating and are using vpn for privacy purposes but they can always appeal for steam id whitelist and it will mean much less cheaters which are a plague in TF2 nowadays.

+1

It's not ideal but today vpn is mainly used to avoid an IP ban on TF2 community servers, it might be annoying for people who are not cheating and are using vpn for privacy purposes but they can always appeal for steam id whitelist and it will mean much less cheaters which are a plague in TF2 nowadays.
still hackers mainly use the no steamid verification bug which has been fixed lately and ip bans are quite useless anyways imo as it can be changed and its more effective banning their steamid.

• Informative
Reactions: Nikola
still hackers mainly use the no steamid verification bug which has been fixed lately and ip bans are quite useless anyways imo as it can be changed and its more effective banning their steamid.
As you mentioned the bug has been fixed lately so I'd implement VPN and proxy bans anyway since some hackers are simply stubborn and will keep changing their VPN address and come from other steam account, it happened on other servers either so that's why VPN's and proxies are forbidden there.

As you mentioned the bug has been fixed lately so I'd implement VPN and proxy bans anyway since some hackers are simply stubborn and will keep changing their VPN address and come from other steam account, it happened on other servers either so that's why VPN's and proxies are forbidden there.
let them change their ip, ip bans nowadays are not effective anymore.
if we ban them on their steamid they need to always create a new account and i doubt someone would create 10 accounts and login/logout all few minutes just to be able to hack and maybe play 1 minute until he's banned again.

thats how i see it.

if we ban them on their steamid they need to always create a new account and i doubt someone would create 10 accounts and login/logout all few minutes just to be able to hack and maybe play 1 minute until he's banned again.

thats how i see it.
Few days ago such a stubborn guy appeared on a trade server, but that might not happen again for now. I understand your point of view, I'll leave it to poll to decide.

thats how i see it.

Not everyone will, But Over the years and many servers played i've seen hackers do just that, over and over again. It's Uncommon but it does happen.

So seems it's an overwhelming vote for yes. I've tasked this up, but Kevin has voted no so overall whatever the owner wants to do.

Task
#149 Blocking of VPNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread