ASUS RT-AC5300 - Port Forwarding Issue (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Cookie

So, I am having a very strange issue with a new provider. I know how to port forward and have done in the past with all the applications I have tested now (Source, Minecraft, Terraria, ...), however these no longer work, nothing does.

I have set up a port for Minecraft in the devices settings, the usual 25565 to my IPv4 address however this doesn't seem to be getting picked up, at all, however my network device does acknowledge it in the logs that it was and is forwarded with the correct information.

List of things I have tested that have failed to resolve/improve the issue:
  • Disabling the network device firewall
  • Disabling my PC firewall
  • Disabling Hardware/NAT Acceleration
  • Checking if other ports work (They don't)
  • Using a different PC
  • Forwarding HTTP
  • Rebooting network device(s)
  • Rebooting PC
  • Changing IPv4 address
  • Changing WAN settings
  • Allowing the application threw my firewall specifically
  • Updating to the latest firmware (Currently at Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_4180-ge57f472)
  • Downgrading firmware
  • Googling a solution / Reading forums of this issue being fixed
  • Hitting it with a wrench

I don't know what else to do anymore. I just hope someone will read this and work out my unknown issue that no one else seems to have across the internet, as usual with anything I seem have.

NOTE: I will not be providing any information related to my IP and/or Network Information.

Last edited:
I wish I could help you but I don't know anything about that stuff.... Sorry.

Try hitting it with the other side of the wrench...

• Useful
Reactions: Heratade
Do you by any chance have more than one router?

• Funny
Reactions: TBotV63
Here's a few things you might've missed:
  • Is your connected computer IP static? If not, change it to be static.
  • Have you specifically added the ports to your firewall on your PC? Make sure they're set as inbound rules.
  • Are you on any double router setup? e.g Modem -> Router -> PC. Then make sure you port it through each one in order.

Are you using DualStack Lite? Because that breaks public port-forwarding (at least for IPv4). Given that you changed providers recently it isn't unlikely that this is the case. If this is the case you would have to ask your provider to set up port-forwarding to your PC.

most likely caused by double NAT aka your modem provides already a private ip range (10.0.0.0/24) and your router is connected to it so the router gets as public ip a private one instead of the normal public one.

best solution is to call your ISP and ask them to put the modem into Bridge Mode, this will fix this issue and make the router function as a normal router. (basically the modem acts like a dumb switch)

thats the first thing you can do or incase you have the ability to log into the modem and setup a DMZ (redirects any traffic to the given ip address which you can enter in there) basically lookup the private ip the router recieved and enter the ip address in there and apply and restart both devices.

if the issue still persists then get in touch with me. (owning the same router myself ;)) ; Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_4180

Thanks for the information everyone, I will look into some of these ideas. And I do infact have 2 devices, though I'm not 100% sure why or which does what.

Thanks for the information everyone, I will look into some of these ideas. And I do infact have 2 devices, though I'm not 100% sure why or which does what.
i for myself have a Cisco EPC3925 Modem in Bridge Mode (depending on how you get your inet but mostly either over a phone line or coax.

Here's a few things you might've missed:
  • Is your connected computer IP static? If not, change it to be static.
  • Have you specifically added the ports to your firewall on your PC? Make sure they're set as inbound rules.
  • Are you on any double router setup? e.g Modem -> Router -> PC. Then make sure you port it through each one in order.

I have been trying for a while and cannot work out at all how the hell to get a Static IP, I will leave that out for now until it's a last resort.

Last edited:
most likely caused by double NAT aka your modem provides already a private ip range (10.0.0.0/24) and your router is connected to it so the router gets as public ip a private one instead of the normal public one.

best solution is to call your ISP and ask them to put the modem into Bridge Mode, this will fix this issue and make the router function as a normal router. (basically the modem acts like a dumb switch)

thats the first thing you can do or incase you have the ability to log into the modem and setup a DMZ (redirects any traffic to the given ip address which you can enter in there) basically lookup the private ip the router recieved and enter the ip address in there and apply and restart both devices.

if the issue still persists then get in touch with me. (owning the same router myself ;)) ; Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_4180

I am not entirely sure which is the private IP

EDIT: Nevermind I think it's just the same meaning as the LAN IP

I have been trying for a while and cannot work out at all how the hell to get a Static IP
Log onto your router then select "LAN" and go to "DHCP Server" and then in the MAC Address dropdown select your pc and pick a ip address you want (make sure its in the same network as like 192.168.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.1 (router) 192.168.1.200 (your pc)) hit Apply and the router restarts itself and you have a static ip adressed via DHCP. (make sure to set in your network card on your pc the ip address and dns to be obtained automatically via DHCP otherwise this wont work.

Log onto your router then select "LAN" and go to "DHCP Server" and then in the MAC Address dropdown select your pc and pick a ip address you want (make sure its in the same network as like 192.168.1.0/24 -> 192.168.1.1 (router) 192.168.1.200 (your pc)) hit Apply and the router restarts itself and you have a static ip adressed via DHCP. (make sure to set in your network card on your pc the ip address and dns to be obtained automatically via DHCP otherwise this wont work.

I have already done this and have also now done DMZ setup, neither have fixed the issue.

if you want i can help you later on over teamviewer and inspect it.

I'd rather not have too personally.

If it is any relevance I also have this error:
The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work.
EDIT: This mysteriously fixed its self. Possibly due to a MAC DHCP change I did?

EDIT: This has mysteriously appeared again.

Also, in some settings I can get it to display this:
Reason: No route to host

Instead of:
Reason: Connection timed out

It currently displays "No route to host" which I hope is
at least a good sign but I don't know how to fix that.
I am currently using "canyouseeme.org" to test this.

Last edited:
BTW, when you are testing to see if the port is open, keep your server open as well. As that is the only program that require the specific port. (Unless you have other server programs on at all times)

Can someone explain a way to maybe fix this? It has appeared again as an error on my network device, maybe it's the cause of the issue?
"The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread