1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Join us on our discord server for fun gaming evenings, discussions, music and much more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you!
    Dismiss Notice

Pending Advertising cheats - the thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zeprus, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    Because of the recent ban appeal I think this should be reconsidered.
    The rule in question is 2 c.
    There is one main problem I see with this rule consisting of two open questions:

1) What is considered advertising?

2) What punishment should follow advertising?

As for 1)
    As seen in the recent ban appeal, some people consider repeating slogans as advertising. Even if the product is not mentioned in any other way or even the current topic. I do not believe that this qualifies as advertisement. It doesn't list any positive traits of the product or speaks to any person in particular, it's like a dumb joke or meme.

As for 2)
    The punishments for this rule should be fairly obvious, a simple communication block should do the trick.
    For some reason however advertising cheating software is seen as more harmful and punished with a permanent ban. This in my opinion is a major exaggeration seeing how using the product i.e. cheating on the server only ruins the fun for however long the cheater decides to do it.
    Comparable advertisements, for example those of gambling websites, which actually enable underage users to gamble are seen as not nearly as harmful for some reason. Even though the damage caused by those sides is significantly higher than that of cheating sides.

Other admins however, or ex-admins, did not permanently ban for advertising cheating websites.
    This rules is a mess and needs some thought, it should not be up to the admin to decide between a permanent ban and a temporary communication block. That difference is simply way too huge.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Zushikikato Wolfeh

Zushikikato Wolfeh Gameserver Admin
    Gameserver Admin Donator

Big reason between advertising a diffirent community, YouTube channel,steamgroup, ect.... wich are "mostly" harmless then a website that promotes server ruining mechanics, Using hacks or advertising them should be a perma in my opinion. Idk if @Kevin@Kevin wants a word on this to settle everything?

3. Le Captain Pootis

Le Captain Pootis Trial Gameserver Admin
    Trial Gameserver Admin Donator

Steam:
    The rule should be written more specific, regarding punishments and overall handling of situations like we've just seen. However, I disagree with you on the "A simple communication block should do the trick" because advertising hacks is an open and big "fuck you" to the community. Complete disregard towards the rules, the players and administrators playing here. It should come as no surprise to anyone that advertising is strictly forbidden.

If you don't give two fucks about the rules, and how what you're saying could impact other players (Meaning that if they advertise, people could start downloading and using hacks although we'll catch them eventually), you should not be playing here in the first place.

But I do agree with you that there has to be a more in-debth explanation of what the whole "advertising" thing means, and the appropriate punishments.

#3 Le Captain Pootis, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    There clearly is a huge difference, yes. And in my post I compared it to advertising gambling websites which are similarly if not more harmful. I also agree with the permanent punishment however it should not be without a warning and it should not be a ban but instead a communication block in my opinion.

A simple communication block should be the solution for general advertising, I think harmful advertising should be a permanent communication block as stated above.

A ban however is in no way the correct punishment as advertising is breaking the communication rules, not the rules of play. Should it be in form of e.g. a spray I might consider a ban but at the same time it's possible to sprayban them iirc.