• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madact

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Contributor
Since the changes to bhop have now made it so you cannot bounce high enough to skip traps entirely it is time to either remove the rule completely or be specific on what bhop skipping is.

So far, I am unsure if it's possible to use the speed to skip a trap from the side or something or use it to avoid 'trigger_hurt' on the floor of traps.

But I'm sure skipping along the floor of a trap to avoid the pending doom is just delaying, so :p

Anyways discuss and vote! :D

• Agree
Reactions: Aokigahara
I believe the rule was created because the old bhop settings granted temporary god-mode so the player wouldn't take fall damage. This however resulted in players being able to skip traps as they could not be hurt by "trigger_hurt"'s (as you said).

In the current situation/configuration there is no situation in where a player would be able to skip an activated (i.e. enabled) trigger_hurt that is causing enough damage per server-tick. This is because there is no possible situation where god-mode is granted by the bhop plugin.

• Informative
Reactions: Madact
zsjv.png

Just for more information, the damage dealt by the trigger_hurt should be more then the health of the "to kill" target. This will instantly kill a player touching the trigger area. In theory, if a trigger_hurts damage is lower then the health of the player passing through it, the player would be able to skip it if the player is moving so fast that he only touches the trigger for less then a second. This as the trigger_hurt only deals the specified damage every half a second. Though this situation would be a map issue, not an exploit.

I hope I explained that alright..

• Winner
Reactions: Madact
So, do we remove it or no? Cause this seems to cause people to !calladmin whenever a player is bhopping and gaining speed. I'll vote to remove it.

So having the speed-advantage with bhopping and making it way harder for the activator to time his traps is allowed?

It does make it more challenging, though as lazy bhop is enabled it might happen too often. We did however limit the velocity to 400.

Well I've seen cases of people speeding up and bhopping like rockets to the end of the map. Pretty obnoxious to me as it's pretty unfair for the Death (sometimes they can't even catch up with them) and so it's an easy win for the runners. Sometimes the Death don't even see the bhoppers fly to the end.

Maybe we could just change the rule or lower the velocity a little more?

I agree, a weapon would do no harm, a pistol perhaps?
Bullet-based weapons, if the Death can be any class, would be nice.
By the way, why are most weapons restricted from Deathrun? Perhaps it's easier and more effective to restrict them from being used, than blocking specific weapons (and removing weaponstats) from firing to prevent exploits and bugs for future updates.

Off-topic: This bhop makes it hard to jump from a platform to another, that is going to break after ca. a second, as you land on it. It is the bhop that is still in effect that does this.

Last edited:
By the way, why are most weapons restricted from Deathrun?

There is no reason for runners to deal damage whilst playing, hence why we've disabled primary and secondary weapons. Some guns (Rocket launchers/Sticky launchers) can hurt the death through thin walls (map issues). All melee weapons are usable except for these select few:
  • The Eureka Effect (teleportation)
  • The Atomizer (extra jump)
  • Ullapool Caber (explosive jump)
  • The Boston Basher (bloody jump)
  • Three-Rune Blade (bloody jump)
  • Amputator (Lags everybody)
  • The Wrap Assassin (Ball deals AOE damage and makes it possible to activate traps through walls)

• Informative
Reactions: Danny
I agree, a weapon would do no harm, a pistol perhaps?

Maybe all the primary weapon but the rocket launcher, minigun, flamethrower, etc. Tho, for the demoman, I don't know if we can give a pistol or such to the demoman, we maybe need to find a solution for this class.

• Agree
Reactions: Stabbin
Maybe all the primary weapon but the rocket launcher, minigun, flamethrower, etc. Tho, for the demoman, I don't know if we can give a pistol or such to the demoman, we maybe need to find a solution for this class.
Or what if we don't, and if the activator want to play Demoman then they will just have to enjoy melee?

Reactions: Stabbin
This is starting to become very complicated so i'll vote removing the bhop.

If we had a pistol with death you'd still had to go near the button to activate the trap.

But who knows it might work this is just my opinion.

It's not complicated, either we change the rule/delete it, and for the weapons, it was just a suggestion, it could be a solution, or we leave it like this since we can't get that fast as stabbin said it's configured to 400, it was tested by some admins and kevin, so yeah, I think the best to do is to delete that rule "No bhop to skip trap." and maybe discuss about weapons.

I would really like to see the "death players" be able to use a hitscan weapon such as a pistol/shotgun/smg to activate the traps from further away. And if the bhop rule gets removed it would only make sense as it makes it more risky for experienced players to try and skip through the whole map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread